Pages

4/27/2012

MUSIC: Top 10 Best Red Hot Chili Peppers Songs

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are by far, my favorite band of all time. Throughout the years, their music has constantly fueled me. As soon as I got my first guitar, I was learning every RHCP song left and right. Every time that they come to my town, I try my hardest to go and end up not being able to afford it. No other band has ever had such an effect on my life as the Red Hot Chili Peppers have. Unfortunately, their only two guitarists that I feel had talent were Hillel Slovak and John Frusciante. As such, you're not going to see any songs from One Hot Minute an only one from I'm With You in this list.

10) Can't Stop (from By The Way)


Alright, RHCP (as I will refer to them from here on out) are a funk-rock band. So naturally, you have to list a funky song. Do I honestly believe that this song is AMAZING? No, it was just extremely popular in the mid '00s. But this song does give you the best first impression of RHCP's entire discography. Not only does it have the infectious funky chorus, but it also has the deep melodic tone that they are also well known for. Regardless of where I am, and whether or not it's socially acceptable, I always rock out to the song.


9) Scar Tissue (from Californication)


This song is one of those melodic songs that I was talking about. A beautiful melody coupled with a love-story with lyrical competence that could (but doesn't) rival with that of Bob Dylan. I still remember a week where I listened to this song non-stop. Don't remember why, but probably a tough break-up or something silly.




8) Factory of Faith (from I'm With You)


Yup, yup. This is the lone "I'm With You" song that made the list. Why? Let's put it this way. Flea is one of the top 10 greatest bassists of all time, and due to Klinghoffer's incompetence, Flea was forced to carry the entire rhythm on his bass. And such a great bass-line he produced. Not one of Kiedis's greatest points as far as singing, but still a good, funky song.





7) Parallel Universe (from Californication)


One of the most solid basslines of all RHCP songs. The lyrics are also very pretty good, and Kiedis does well with them. The guitar could be much better, because as it is, it only stands in the way of the perfect bassline. Although, the song does seem to drone on and on...



6) Catholic School Girls Rule (from Freaky Styley)

Probably the most light-hearted song ever made by Red Hot Chili Peppers, and the only song that I feel that it is appropriate to headbang for. Honestly, one of the stupidest RHCP songs. Luckily, that means that this song keeps it in your mind that RHCP wasn't always as serious as they now act. It also reminds you that RHCP is, in fact, a punk band.




5) Throw Away Your Television (from By The Way)

I figure that people only really listened to this album for Can't Stop and By the Way, but this song is the real masterpiece of the album. One couldn't even believe how many times I've listened to this song in my life.



4) True Men Don't Kill Coyotes (from Red Hot Chili Peppers)


One of Flea's most interesting baselines. Fairly lackluster song otherwise, but the bassline is surely something amazing. For some reason, I don't objectively like this song, but I still find myself coming back to it time and time again for the juicy bassline.


3) Make You Feel Better (from Stadium Arcadium)

This song is very adherent to its namesake. It makes you feel better. This song is one of the few RHCP songs that is neither down-tempo, nor fun. It lies somewhere between the two, in the world of lightheartedness. One of the highlights of Stadium Arcadium, and one of the highest play-counts in my music library.




2) Snow ((Hey Oh)) (from Stadium Arcadium)


This is the most complex RHCP song of all time. From the sweep-heavy melody to the excessively pitch-heavy singing, this song is fairly taxing to learn how to play. The lyrics are very nice and pretty, and simple. But I feel that, overall, the song either takes itself too seriously, or not seriously enough, so I can't list it any higher than this.




1) Under the Bridge (from Blood Sugar Sex Magik)


Hands down, zero argument. This is the greatest RHCP song of all time. This single song cements the members of RHCP as some of the greatest musicians of the past century. While Flea's bass is nearly non-existent on this song (compared to other songs), the song still stands out as having: Anothony's best vocals, Frusciante's best guitarwork, and the best lyrics of ANY RHCP song. While this song is my favorite RHCP song, it is also my single favorite song of all time.


Like the List? Agree? Disagree?
Tell Me In The Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be civil. I work very hard on this blog, and I look through all of your comments. I'm not going to block your comment simply because it disagrees with me, but again, please be civil.